WG REPORT BACKS
Becca: New website up – please check links, give feedback
Did ustream workshop at Raleigh yesterday
Also finance met today working on mission statement and formal method to request funds from GA
Nightwatch will be disbanding after the 10th
Katya: Jan. 10 moving along, need people to show up to clean up afterwards, and to help move things during 3 pm breakdown
Speakers needed, anyone can answer Qs from press, which may include why break down? What’s next? Yates building responses. Suggested we should focus on police response and report rather than action at the building, also to connect up to other struggles, like northside issues, role in MLK
Direct Action NOT meeting this Monday, but next Monday.
Katya: proposal to send email to town council that out of respect for and solidarity with northside and pine knolls agenda that it go first, ahead of yates building report.
-Move to amend group is also presenting proposal.
b/c yates is report – can we respond? Is it an action item? Would that be public comments section? Comes first?
-Good initiative, if answer is no. independent review is on agenda as information item (ie without public comment). If later then it comes first. So we should keep comments short, and have everyone stand up. Before looked likeonly cared about yates issue, not the community. Msut do better to build solidarity with these struggles.
-Does it matter if presenting report and/or time for outrage, the proposal is outreach and regardless of wht happens we nned to gesture to northside.
-Not under our control what town speaks about, but have banner vs. gentrification and we should be in front to show our presence
-If there is only time during public comment, it should be 2 or 3 people and keep it short. -Maybe we could meet WITH them earlier, to get our message across.
-Proposal passed to send email to town council today.
FORECLOSURE workshop, GET THE WORD OUT and let people know to bring their home documents, there will also be bilingual attorney, need help to get word out, and need volunteers during the whole time: set up, break down, etc. SATURDAY 1/21/11 university united Methodist church, on franklin. Get information to low wage people. Purpose is NOT about occupying homes but to advise people about loan modification, and their rights etc. we should keep discussion of intentional trespass to a minimum given legal folks who will be there.
LETTER FROM DURHAM (just comment that compared to them we are so together!! We have great GA s) On corporate personhood, be in solidarity but also we can use. Part of move to amend. Question: is there a web version? Not known
RELATION TO NORTHSIDE Miriam, important to be there for northside – tomorrow night and more generally: we should support with talking points, be there with signs, and to testify.
-maybe be here at 5:30 to discuss this, at 6 will have a lot to deal with?
-march is Informally called and not by us here, press release calling for marhc from Ibooks croatan earth first, all concerned about precedence that report sets but after tomorrow it will be moot so call to gather at Occupy/peace and justice plaza for demo presumably with march to town hall, to express outrage at “review” and original conduct, that’s the extent of it so far
-we need to remember the long history of police violence in this community, it’s a crisis, esp for people of color. We’re not just talking about yates. We have pushed for an indep commiss. for a long time, need a proactive way to bring more justice. Independent eyes looking at these relations.
-stephanie; propose we join the march and endorse PROPOSAL PASSED
-what about people who can’t be there? Or didn’t even know about it.
-what to do? Write letters to editor, create a context around this. Need to strategize to longer term issues, so much direct stimuli we’re reacting to. Raid on graham st. in early 90s,much longer legacy and we often don’t know about it.
-yates raid was a discrete action with SERT team inserted and we need to pick our battles – brian’s point about long term issues could be better w/ indep Commission, but this is very specific, armed thuggish goons violating non-violent chapel hill residents. We shold be careful about diffusing that.
-make pre-march an education – about this past, what happened, what’s in the report.
-true, we need Various strategies, but should be linked to more just and safe policing.
DISCUSSION OF CONSENSUS, questions about spirit, rules, role of blocks, do we want to have more discussion about it? Table it?
-Could go on without conclusion for hours perhaps begin on list serv, maybe do research on other occupies and how they deal with it? Otherwise I don’t see us getting anywhere.
-I need more education on other models before expressing opinion about our model. Does the facilitator WG do this? Should we research on own and share?
-facilitation WG is great place.
-not a bad visioning Q, perhaps for 1/12?
-proposed as such and that it go before any agenda items. It’s pressing now because of numerous incidents where rule of consensus v.s spirit are at odds, where instead of working to resolve blocks we tabled things indefinitely, and issues where people at odds b/c proposal passed consensus w/ poor attendance so people felt left out so I do think it’s important to address.
-it may need more than one session….
-if you can’t make all the GA s it’s hard because sometimes decisions are changed, or don’t know what has happened
-maybe post what’s been consensed on?
-Becca: on website we have area where we show what’s been consensed on, what’s been passed. SEE UPDATES.
GAL’S CLOTHES hoped to have give away corner during pot luck also maybe where we could offer things from camp that aren’t needed anymore. And I’ll take everything else to goodwill.
-(like a mini really really free market)
-occupy Raleigh has asked if they could take tents, food, and things we aren’t using anymore.
-nomadic occupy wants tents
-IFC would like things, clothes, etc.
-bottom line during potluck there will be a give away corner that people can bring and stuff from camp that is no longer needed. Come and take it and after it’s done what’s left will be taken away.
Sunday1/22 at United Church at umstead park bill murray will do a workshop on clarifying core values, and how to approach another person and clarify theirs – which can be VERy helpful for communicating what is important for us. Details will be on website.
Successful teach in at Y today Gene Nichols with wonderful program on poverty in NC , 35-40 attended, want more occupiers. He is very supportive of occupy and could come again. Is director of UCN Center on poverty work and opportunity
Heather and Bert spoke with ethical group this morning, rosemarie’s been involved for years.
Tonight will work with traction LGBT group at Jujube
Occupy Raleigh flier on 100 days 100 reasons to occupy handed out.
Steve – Ending corporate personhood and overturning citizens united through group Move to Amend, at meetings, ½ are occupiers (so more should come out!). Tonight, another meeting, please come, at 7:30. Mon night proposal to town council to support amendment and Feb. teach in on corporate personhood. Jean Nichols will probably speak. If interested contact steve – he’ll send an announcement on the listserv.
Gal’s been Traveling and visting other occupies – Memphis was very interesting, have opted for concentrating on maintaining camp. Don’t do much else. Very excited about our tshirts also gave them our placards about cash vs. credit cards
Jan. 17 occupy congress in DC, chartered buses going from Greensboro and charlotte, see Becca NOW!!! If you want to go. $ must be in by Thurs. but Becca needs to know today, they need a headcount. $40.00/person. Will take credit cards money order or check.
Feb. 11 HK on J in Raleigh
This post has already been read 309 times!