|When:||Back to Calendar June 30, 2012 @ 9:00 am – July 4, 2012 @ 6:00 pm||Where:||Independence Mall
143 S 3rd St
Click to view map✔ Add to Calendar Add to Google Calendar
Occupy National Gathering Calls for a Massive Convergence on Philadelphia June 30th – July 4th.
Website: occupynationalgathering.com for details and schedule
From June 30th to July 4th, the Occupy movement will convene the Occupy National Gathering in the vicinity of Philadelphia’s Independence Mall for a week of direct actions, movement building and the creation of a “blueprint” for a democratic future. The National Gathering will kick off with a massive march in solidarity with Healthcare-Now! On July 5th we will conclude with a 99 mile march from Philadelphia to Wall Street in Lower Manhattan.
● The Occupy Caravan will be traveling various routes throughout the country to bring activists to the Gathering and will begin arriving on June 30th.
● We are not announcing the exact location(s) where protesters will be sleeping. We do plan on taking city sidewalks as a last resort.
● We plan on accommodating groups who have already reserved space in the area of Independence Mall to the best of our ability. They are welcome to reach out to us with any concerns or questions.
● Confirmed speakers will include Rolling Stone reporter and best-selling author Matt Taibbi, Reverend Billy from The Church of Stop Shopping, Alexa O’Brien (a journalist and expert on the Bradley Manning trial), Alexis Goldstein (an organizer with Occupy Wall Street’s “Stop Bank of America” campaign), David Gespass (President of the NLG), and Neill Franklin (ex-director of LEAP). This list continues to grow every day.
● There will be daily workshops and teach-ins during the first four days of the gathering, ranging from economic education to citizen’s legal collectives. There will be topics of interest for the casual observer as well as the “die-hard” occupier.
● In addition to workshops and speakers, there will be a multitude of direct actions which will not be announced ahead of time.
● Occupy Wall Street’s “Guitarmy” will be attending and providing entertainment on various Caravan routes and throughout the week.
● Each evening beginning on July 1st will bring together attendees to begin crafting a peoples’ blueprint for building a democratic future. By the end of the Gathering on July 4th, this “blueprint” will be a loose guide for occupations across the country to begin working collectively and nationally on movement goals Gathering participants deem most important. This should not be construed as a list of demands.
This post has already been read 208 times!